Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

UMW Men’s Lacrosse Falls to Ursinus, 10-9, in Double OT

UMW Men’s Lacrosse Falls to Ursinus, 10-9, in Double OT

The University of Mary Washington men's lacrosse team fell to Ursinus College, 10-9, in double overtime on Saturday afternoon in Fredericksburg, VA. The Eagles slip to 2-2 overall. Senior Shane McKenzie led UMW with three goals and two assists. 

In the early going the Eagles got out to a 3-0 start thanks to some hot shooting and good saves from Billy Senicola. Shane McKenzie got the scoring started just 2:22 in, and then Kieran Burns added a goal on an assist from Chase Kapuscienski two minutes later to get out to a 2-0 lead. Kapuscienski then put away a goal of his own on an assist from Chris White to give the Eagles a 3-0 lead. Ursinus got on the board with 3:54 to play and the Eagles held a 3-1 lead going into the second quarter. 

UMW kept the pressure on as McKenzie added another goal with 12:39 to play, and then Kapuscienski added a second goal on an assist from Burns to put the Eagles up 5-1 with 7:39 left. White then scored a goal on an assist from JC Reynolds and that gave UMW their largest lead of the day at five, 6-1. The Bears scored the last two goals of the half and UMW had a 6-1 lead.

The Bears won the third quarter as they scored three goals and the Eagles failed to score. Ursinus tied the game up at six a piece with just four seconds left in the quarter. 

White put the Eagles back on top, 7-6, just 2 minutes into the fourth quarter as he scored on an assist from McKenzie. The Bears tied the game up at seven, and then the Eagles scored two straight goals to take a 9-7 advantage. McKenzie scored the first with 7:29 left, and then Cole Hogan scored the second on an assist from McKenzie with just 2:37 remaining in the game. Ursinus then took advantage of two Eagles turnovers and tied the game at 9-9 with 1:20 to play.

The first overtime saw the Eagles miss a shot high and Senicola came up with two big saves to keep UMW in the game. Both defenses held strong and did not allow a goal. The Bears won the game just 52 seconds into the second overtime.

Robert Tata led the team with six ground balls, and Senicola made 12 saves in goal.

The Eagles will be back in action on Saturday as they will travel to Charlotte, N.C. to play Berry at 3 p.m.