Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Bass’ Walk Off Single Lifts UMW Baseball Past Roanoke, 7-6, on Wednesday

Bass’ Walk Off Single Lifts UMW Baseball Past Roanoke, 7-6, on Wednesday

Junior Nick Bass delivered a walk-off single to lift the University of Mary Washington baseball team past Roanoke, 7-6, on Wednesday afternoon at V. Earl Dickinson Stadium in Fredericksburg, Va. The Eagles improve to 6-9 overall. Senior Garrett Lyons led the offense by going 5/5 and scoring two runs.

The Maroons got their bats rolling early in the game as they scored three runs in the first inning and one in the second to take a 4-0 lead. After the Eagles' silent two innings, they woke their bats up in the third inning by bringing home two runs. 

Lyons led the inning off with a double, and then Stephen Johnston was hit by a pitch. Lyons then scored as Norman Holcomb put the ball in play and an error was made by Roanoke. David Lambertson brought the other run home as he singled to right field to bring home Johnston.

Roanoke added two more runs in the fifth inning to take a 6-2 lead. UMW added a run in the bottom of the fifth as Holcomb reached on an error by the catcher. Holcomb advanced to third on a groundout by Tyler Ray and Lambertson delivered again with a base hit to right field.

In the bottom of the sixth, the Eagles tacked on another run as Lyons was a menace on the bases. After two outs were recorded, Lyons had a base hit to right field. He stole second base, then stole third base and while he was stealing third base, the catcher threw the ball into left field and Lyons scored to make the game 6-4.

The Eagles scored another run in the eight inning as they kept chipping back into the game. Bass reached on a single to begin the inning. After two outs were recorded, Lyons tripled to deep center field and scored Bass from first base to put UMW down just one, 6-5. 

In the ninth, after an out was recorded Lambertson singled to get the rally started. Hague followed him up with a hard line drive base hit to left field to put two runners on with one out. After a fly out, Lamberston moved to third on a past ball and then scored on another past ball to tie the game at 6-6. Pinch runner, Mikey Flosser, took second base on the second past ball and that is when Bass delivered the game-winning hit to score Flosser and help the Eagles secure a 7-6 win.

Hank Biggs came on in the fifth inning and shut down the Maroons bats as they were not able to score a run on him in the last four innings. Biggs struck out six batters and gave up just one hit.

The Eagles will be back in action on Friday as they will travel to #1 CNU at 3 p.m.